Wednesday, March 10, 2010

bonita speaks

last night i went to lucky bar to attend an all-female hip-hop show to celebrate international women's day and raise money for the victoria women's sexual assault centre. the event was co-organized by my lovely, confident, inspirational friend angieb.

my hip-hop experience is limited at best, but since b2 and i have been together i have really started to gain quite the appreciation for it. b2 is so passionate about hip-hop, and incredibly well informed. i love it - he is able to explain so many things to me about it...the techniques, the flow, the history, the samples...i am in awe most of the time when he teaches me about the art of hip-hop.

so last night, i put on my best hip-hop outfit (i was later kindly teased for my choice of pearl earrings ...apparently i still have a lot to learn!) and headed out on the town with my pal Ivannia to listen to some dope beats (gawd i am such a geek).

AND IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!

We stayed until 11pm (when did i get so old?) and listened to two very awesome performances. it was such an empowering evening and i am so very proud of angieb for her event-planning super-powers.

i definitely can't wait to check out more hip-hop shows in the future :)

2 comments: